Thursday, June 11, 2009

An eye-opening experience!


I just got back from working at the cannery. What an experience that is. For those of you who don't know, the Mormon church has several canneries around the country. We have one of them conveniently in our town. Anyone can participate at the cannery--you do not have to be a member of the Mormon Church. The only requirement is that you be willing to work in the cannery in order to purchase food items there. Today we were making spaghetti sauce. Gwen went with me and we got easy jobs because she's ("tee-hee") pregnant. We spent the morning separating canning lids from canning rings--it was tough. Once we were finished and the cleaning was done we were allowed to browse through the "store" and purchase any of the items there. We bought strawberry jam, salsa, and spaghetti sauce. It's good stuff, it's cheaper, and the mess stays at the cannery. So . . . for anyone of you who is interested just let me know and you can go with me next time I go. Or call the cannery yourself and get their schedule and sign yourself up. It's an experience everyone should have at least once in their lifetime. And you feel SO productive!

1 comment:

Chapmans23 said...

I thank you so much for going, if I would not have asked you probably would not have gone. I feel very guilty for not being able to go, but I appreciate it a lot. Hope fully next time I can go with you, since Gwen will have her baby by then. I do want to go and help and see what it is like. thanks again, i appreciate it. love you tons